of beaches, gambling sprees and responsibilities

Author: zereporthej /


for the first time in a long time, my weekend was an eventful one.
[especially because my mom was out for two days]


october 11, saturday morning, 6:30 am was the scheduled time and date for the BUCET for most of the science oriented students of TNHS. the day before, ephrem told me that we'd be going together which actually perked me up since i hated lone walks as well as commutations [i'm not that good of a navigator.lol]. i woke up at 5:30 am the next day and found myself drifting off to sleep again which rejects its validity as wake-up-time. i officially woke up at 6:00 am and realized that 30 minutes won't suffice my hygienic needs and transportation so i hurried into the bathroom, took a meager shower, [it didn't matter because i'm naturally clean.haha.seriously] put on some random clothes, crammed my permit in my bag and scurried off to ephrem's house. we rode a padyak tricycle to BUCET and my eyes wandered to find that the padyak driver was wearing rubber shoes. what the heck, i wasn't even wearing shoes to take the entrance test and this padyak driver was. lol. anyway, i distinctly told him to go to BUTC to ensure that we get there even in just the nick of time. as we were passing through the national road, the padyak driver turned right and drove straight ahead. ephrem was recalling over and over that BU was in that street i doubted it[.lol.peace!]. i knew it was in the second street because it was near the house of someone i know. anyway, to make the long story short, instead of reaching BU, we arrived at a dead end. when we finally got there, the briefing for the test had already started.

the test lasted for three hours. after that, i was informed that there was a practice for the broadcasting competition it would've been okay if i didn't have a preconceived get-together in my schedule [which btw was a more uhm 'exciting' one as many eye-candies waited for me. lol.] i decided not to go because i just wanted to hang out that afternoon just to break the monotony of the life of a fourth year highschool student.

when i got there with some friends, i expected that nothing wrong would happen because the broadcasting practice would've probably been cancelled. much to my dismay, it wasn't. at two hours running, someone texted me that our coach was infuriated by my absence so the nerves got to me, especially when i received a text saying be responsible. nevertheless, i still didn't go there, what we did was too precious to dismiss. [lol]

be responsible. the phrase resounded in my head for what seemed like eternity. i should have been enraged, i could have but i didn't because she was right. i had been postponing academic work for petty goings-on. as i sat on the wooden chair of lester's house, my brain [which btw has a life of its own] revealed to me the essence of responsibility. it's not just mere submission of what needs be on due time or a turn-up to a significant, urgent practice, it's the sustenance of the balance in one's life. and that's what i needed to achieve. balance.

~o~

the next day, sunday was another concrete proof of the imbalance in my life.


because it was sunday, i was supposed to be in the church listening to pastor's sermons, semi-green jokes and outrageous grammatical errors. [don't get me wrong, i love our pastor and the protestant ways; it's just in my nature not to overlook breaches in grammar.] but instead i was riding a jeepney heading for sogod bacacay, where i was invited to attend a feast for sogod's barangay fiesta. we also planned to go to the beach so i brought extra clothes just in case.

the previous day's incidents had faded from my thinking which left my thoughts meandering through the food we were about to eat and the serenity to be offered by the dreamland beach resort.

julie's mother [julie, my classmate who lived in sogod] prepared mouth watering dishes of atsara, fried chicken, kaldereta and chopsuey. i could almost taste the food just by merely looking at it. we didn't just eat, we devoured. providing us energy for the whole afternoon to be spent at the beach.

after we ate,we allowed the 'tortured' food to be digested and directly went to dreamland where a horizon of peace and life made me become oblivious of the chaos around me and simply contemplate about the simplest little things. like happiness, the very emotion i was feeling. being with the company of friends compensated with whatever may befall me as consequence for my irresponsibility.

and of course, the warm beach that caressed every part of me as i swam through the waves gave nature a spot in my life. who knew that nirvana can almost be found underwater, no responsibilities, just the simple pleasure of not thinking but feeling. for hours and hours, i ventured into the sea in search for whatever would make me forget. about every little thing that shattered my sanity; friendship, love and education.

~o~

as the afternoon was about to end, we went to the 'peryahan' where luck, at least for me was nowhere to be found. it was as if i was preordained to lose 1 peso each time i placed it on the hands of luck. whereas the others even earned money that would be sufficient for cellphone load and fare. although i enjoyed it to the bones, gambling still puts a pricetag on happiness which directly runs counter to the idea that i would naturally endorse. but this case is an exception. after all, we have many definitive reasons for happiness whether it be of anything on or beyond earth.

we rode the jeepney home and we started parting ways, saying our goodbyes, instilling in our heads that there will be a next time, and this, for me was a social responsibility.

sorry for my melodramatic approach on this matter, i just needed to make sure that my sense of appreciation for life and its purpose has not yet left its little spot in my brain.

responsibility - the ability to dominate one's sense of obligation for the common good while not jeopardizing any and all other aspects.










0 comments: